Monday, November 27, 2006

LaGmra Day 4 - Hull & Epoxy 27 Nov, 06 - 20.26

Apparently 10 days ago, La Gomera was hit by a storm with
severe flooding on the island. The weather right now seems to be holding up quite well. Strong northerly winds with calm seas.
Here's hoping that it stays that way for the next 10 days,
giving me enough time to clear the island.
Ironically, I feel I will be much more relaxed once I have lost
sight of land. Right now, I feel a bit tense about getting out of
the islands.
There is something to be said about the people on the island.
My boat has been in the marina (which has public access) for
the past 6 months and not a single piece of equipment has gone a miss. Everything is just they way as I left it. That says a lot about how safe and trustworthy the people of the island are.
The welcome I got on my return has also been touching,
meeting a lot of the friends I made on the island over the three months I spent on the island earlier this year.
Thanks to everyone for the hospitality extended over the past
few months.
Today was more work on the hull and patching up a few
gashes with Epoxy resin. The solar panels and satellite
connectivity is working well and the rudder has been re-enforced.
I'm feeling a bit under the weather at the moment. Some of
the lead in the antifouling paint must have gotten into the
system.
I have also stopped long distance training for now, so I have
enough rest for the start. My training schedule has been
reduced to a few laps on the bay. I'm trying to put on as much
weight as possible before I leave, enjoying my last few meals
on land, cramming in 5 meals a day. My weight is about 110
kg right now.
One of the upsides, rowing the Atlantic is its an
open cheque to eat as much of anything as you like.
On the project plan for tomorrow is a formality of the VHF
radio licence test, painting the boat, returning the old Argos
beacons to France and re-snickering the boat. We are on
schedule for putting the boat in the water on Wednesday for
one final sea trial on Thursday.
Thanks for the messages everyone. I am getting tons of
emails a day. I can't reply to them all, but I do read each and
every one of them.
TODAYS PHOTOS -
1. Solar panels on the 6 ft hatch (my living space)
061127_2solarpanels
2. The rudder
061127_1rudder
3. A Typical Canarian meal of Stake, Chips, Rabbit meat and Mojo
061127_3meal

No comments: