Friday, December 22, 2006

Day 2 - Broken Rudder 22 Dec, 06 - 3.05

Here is a bit more details since the last post. Do not seem to be having much luck.
8.20 am
Good conditions to start with. Breeze about 2 knots.
The first 2 hrs were a bet stressful, getting out of the harbour before one of the large ferrys showed up.
I rowed for 5 hrs non stop, trying to get away from La Gomera and to get enough milage in during the first day to put me a safe distance from El Hierro.
The boat felt like it weighed a ton.
Safely out of the harbour by around 1.00 pm the winds changed direction and started blowing from the south at about 10 knots. Sea got rough with waves about 2m.
The wind started to blow me back towards land. The boat was taking waves beam on and I was desperately trying to bring the boat around with the bow onto the waves.
I spent 3 hours struggling to maintain the reverse compass on a bearing of 180 degrees with the needle constantly swinging between 165 and 200. Every time I managed to bring it around, the wind would swing it around in a matter of seconds. In the end, due to my rowing in one direction and the wind pushing it in the other, the rudder cable snapped.
3.00 pm
Difficult to steer effectively. Got the tool box out and started to fix it. Considered throwing out the anchor till I had completed repairs, but I was still in the shipping lanes.
It seems impossible to fix at sea, and will have to return to port for repairs. About 20 miles off shore.
6.00 pm
Towed back to docks for repairs.
Cracking thru the repairs for now
Hope your Christmas is not too bad either,
my phone number here remains +34 626 404 815
thanks to all for the messages,
B

No comments: