Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Day 2 - Fighting the drift

14 Feb, 07 - 21:30    
27.5747N,17.1832W
I put the sea anchor out last night to stop drifting towards
the other side of La Gomera but woke up this morning to find that the boat has drifted further West again. Very very frustrating. The strong current has dragged the sea anchor. The radar reflector alarm also went off twice last night. I woke up and went out on deck but it was pitch dark and no sign of any boat, which I guess is hidden behind the horizon. The boat is also sitting quite low in the swell, about 3 ft on either side of the boat.
The sea state changed to calm again this morning and I took the sea anchor out and started rowing at 6.00 am to further south-east away from El Heirro.
I am trying desperately to avoid getting caught in the circular currents between La Gomera and El Hierro.
Conditions began to get rough at just 12.00 am , with winds
and waves in different directions. The effect of the land
heating faster than the water, and the various currents and
counter currents around the island.
I had to put the sea anchor again.
A bit more stress as a few curious sailing and fishing boats came by, while I was on the sea anchor. I've got a 40m anchor line and a 50m
trip line and have had to get on the radio at tell them to maintain a 60m radius in case their propeller or keel catches the lines floating just below the surface. So had to keep constant watch. No chance to sleep.
Checked the weather forecast with Tatiana at the ORS and North-Westerly winds due in the next 24 hrs, which is exactly what I need to be able to row further South East, away from El Hierro. So, its a very long wait once again on the anchor and spending the day in my 6ft by 2 ft cabin.
B

070214_calmstart (Small)

No comments: