Saturday, February 17, 2007

Day 5 - Drifting onshore, broken rudder

17 Feb, 07 - 16:27    
28.0050N,17.1652W
Did not get much sleep all night. I had to keep waking up check the drift on the GPS every two hours and then getting on deck and trying to row away from shore. Think I have lost about 5 miles of progress east and looks like the sea anchor is not helping and in fact drifting with the boat is caught in a strong current.
Been trying to fix the rudder problem all day. Had a call with Rune this morning. Forecast for Monday, Tue and Wed promise good NW winds, so I can get around El Hierro by making sufficient progress South East. The boat is drifting closer to shore even with the sea anchor out. I have about 3 hrs of daylight left to sort something out.
I am within hearing range of the breaking waves by the cliff. Can see the volcanic beach from the boat.
All day been trying to take the sea anchor off and row out of it only to get swept back again towards shore.
Its very hard steering the boat without the rudder and takes about 10 mins to turn it around. Cannot use the wind either as I am stuck on the leeward side of the headland. My hands are sore from pulling 300 ft of anchor line and trip line each time I put the anchor out and pull it in again.
Back to work trying to row out of here.
B

No comments: