Thursday, May 31, 2007

Day 92 – Weather Ahead, Bleeding Sores, Laundry, Last Meal

31 May, 07 – 23.15    
16.4297N,56.0490W

24 hr progress: 29 Nautical Miles (1 nm = 1.85 km)
Distance left to Antigua (straight line): 326 Nautical Miles ( 603 km)
Distance completed: 3040 NM (5624 km)
Wave height: 8-10 ft, Winds: 10-15 knots SE, Bearing: 280-300 degrees.

A quickie today. It's been beautiful and sunny all day. The wind has started to pick up. I've spent all day trying to maintain course, but have still been pushed Northwards. It's incredibly frustrating.
My next Landfall option after Antigua is St.Christopher and; Nevis or Barbuda.
If I do get blown past those, it will take a few more days to hit Anguilla and; St.Martin or the US Virgin Islands.
I'm not overly concerned about which island I make landfall at. Any island would be ok to officially qualify my record as an Atlantic crossing. It's just the time spent at sea. Right now, each day spent is one day more into the path of an approaching hurricane.
I received a message yesterday saying the weather over the next 3- 5 days is going to worsen with a low pressure coming thru. I'm still waiting confirmation on that from the land team, before I prepare the boat for bad weather. For now, just concentrating on progress W.
I've washed the salt off the sores on my rear today and put a new antiseptic dressing on. A few of them are bleeding, so swimming in the sea is off the itinerary for a while.
In other stuff, it was hot and sunny so I got some laundry done today. The 4 way underwear routine can only last so long...you know...day 1 front to back, day 2 – back to front, day 3 – front to back inside out, day 4 – back to front inside out. (I've heard there is a 5-way switchover routine, but frankly that would be just showing off :).
Very exhausted. My last dinner ration pack of freeze dried Rice and Basil Sauce is waiting for me to make my move.
Another long nights row ahead...
B
Email: mail@bhavik.com
Confused by any of the nautical terms? Visit the Glossary: http://www.bhavik.com/crossatlantic/about_glossary.htm
Get automatic alerts each time news is updated: http://www.humanedgetech.com/expedition/bhavik/newsletter/index.php
Send me a short message via my webpage http://www.bhavik.com/crossatlantic/messages.asp

md-070531_1gps

External GPS

md-070531_2dusk

Dusk, start of my night rowing session

md-070531_3nightrow

My view at night - Full Moon over the stern

No comments: