Sunday, March 18, 2007

Day 18 – 4000 ft of Blue

18 Mar, 07 – 21.35    
20.0243N,26.4336W


24 hr progress: 37.6 Nautical Miles
So, my 18th day of isolation. Gradually starting to loose a sense of place and time as days merge into a big blue background. Maintaining the ships log daily helps maintain a degree of sanity and differentiate each day. I try to set a goal or point of focus each day. Either mileage, speed, crossing a parallel (N), crossing a meridian (W), fixing something on the boat,
Its been getting hotter with the progress to the South, so I took the Sunday afternoon off (not that it matters in the Atlantic!) and had my first swim around the boat. The view, was well just as how I imagined 4000 ft of water would look like over the Cape Verde Abyssal Plain.
Spotted some pilot swimming around the stern, as I swam back to check the rudder. It has been making a noise since last week and looks like one of the holding pins at the bottom has come undone due to the force of the waves on the stern. Fixing it is on my to do list for this week.
Had a very welcome rain shower in the evening, giving me a chance to wash of the salt from the afternoons swim. Sea has decided to turn nasty again and as I type this the radar alarm has gone off its head again. I am about 240 miles North of the Cape Verde Island, so I assume it is a ship on its way to the islands. No response on the VHF once again, so will be on the deck for the next few hours keeping watch.
B
To send a message on the satellite phone visit http://www.bhavik.com/atlantic/messages.htm
MD-070318_1bird
Bird
MD-070318_2sunset
Sunset
MD-070318_3laptop
Uploading the news

No comments: