Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Day 27 – Rudder or not

27 Mar, 07 – 21.30    
18.0956N,30.4551W
24 hr progress: 36.6 Nautical Miles


A massive day today with fantastic progress in the right direction, thanks to the large waves.
I've been thinking of removing the rudder but re-considering my decision, based on the fast progress I am making. Having the rudder, helps the boat maintain its direction while surfing down a wave and helps keep the stern into the wind. Without the rudder, the boat will go beam on to the waves and I run the risk of capsizing.
Last night was a bit of a nightmare, with heavy waves breaking on the boat and the rudder threatening to pull the fiberglass out of the back of the boat. Unless I can think of a fix within the next 24 hrs the rudder will have to come out.
I usually try to take a photo a day, for the log book. Today, my adventure in the world of photography had an unfortunate ending, as I decided to try the so called cool sounding Multi Burst mode on the camera. Just out of pure inquisitiveness.
The boat was heaving and falling as I hung out of the back hatch trying to take a photo of a wave rising over the boat. So anyway, this feature, as I correctly assumed (from the name), the Multi Burst mode takes simultaneous photos at very very fast intervals, thus reducing the blur effect you would normally get with a moving subject.
The result: I have a 4x4 matrix of passport size photos, showing a wave progressively crashing over the boat.
I cannot figure out how to publish it as just one photo nor can I think of any uses for a passport photo of a wave. I've posted it up here anyway. Since its too dark outside to take any other pictures for the day. So here you go.
Signing off with aching arms,
B
To send a SMS message to my satellite phone visit http://www.bhavik.com/crossatlantic/messages.asp
md-070327_1waveppf
Wave passport photo

No comments: