Sunday, March 25, 2007

Day 25 – Flying Fish & Route

25 Mar, 07 – 21.30    
18.3689N,29.4063W


24 hr progress: 29.4 Nautical Miles
Last night's squall brought favorable winds, pushing me further SW. A bit better mileage with the rudder in a neutral position. The rudder is still problemo numero uno. I had to go out on deck several times last night to tighten the tiller lines and then lean out of the rear hatch to tighten the lashing around the rudder. As I was hanging out of the rear hatch, a large wave came thru, putting an end to my plans for getting any sleep for the rest of the night.
This morning, I found a flying fish on deck that must have jumped in over the side of the boat
As routine dictates, Sunday, is also my day for looking at the weekly progress and if I need any course corrections.
In a prefect world, I would me making a fairly straight line route to Antigua at 17N and 61W. However, taking the winds and current into account, the route plan is to continue SW to 15N and then head W using the prevailing easterly winds at 45W. Finally, making a SE approach to Antigua from from 55W using the South South – Easterly winds and WNW current.
This is of course, assuming that I have managed to resolve the rudder issue over the next few days.
Bracing for more rain tonight, and hoping and praying that I don't have to go about adjusting the rudder in the night.
(Erden, Rune & Tiny – thanks for the help).
B
To send a SMS message to my satellite phone visit http://www.bhavik.com/crossatlantic/messages.asp
md-070325_1fff
the first flying fish found onboard

No comments: