Saturday, March 24, 2007

Day 24 – Repairs fail & heavy weather expected

24 Mar, 07 – 21.50    
18.4352N,29.1038W


24 hr progress: 23 Nautical Miles
Yesterdays repairs did not hold up with the rough weather at night. Been spending all day to try and find a way to strengthen the rudder hinges. The 3 pins on which the rudder rests are fitted into the fiberglass stern. I spent an hour today watching the rudder underwater as well as out, trying to figure out the cause of the problem. My analysis is that the force of the water on the rudder has caused one of the pins that go into the fiberglass to come loose. As a result, when the waves are rough, there is excessive pressure on the rudder. I fear that the vibration of the rudder my rip the holding pin off the back of the stern leaving a large hole in the stern. Would not be nice to be bailing water out all the rest of the way across the Atlantic.
So, I'm trying to take the pressure off the stern pins using ropes and additional tiller lines to the rudder.
I've made a slight improvement on yesterdays solution by wedging the tiller lines even tighter using 2 pieces of plywood and tin cans. I'm expecting worse weather tonight with some rain so hoping this solution holds.
I've given up trying to steer a course due W due to the pressure on the rudder and instead row SW with the wind with the rudder back in its central position. Hopefully this will get the mileage back into the 30's.
Thanks to all for the messages,
B

md-070324_1overcast
overcast :(
md-070324_2squall
a bit squally

No comments: