Friday, April 6, 2007

Day 37 – Stronger wind

6 Apr, 07 – 21.30    
17.4676N,34.0524W
24 hr progress: 16.3 Nautical Miles
Distance left to Antigua: 1583 Nautical Miles ( 2928.5 km)
(Note: 1 Nautical Mile = 1.85 km)


The wind in this country works again. Back to 20 knots and a slight increase in wave height.
Wow. All of the sky last night was obscured by a thick layer of dark rain cloud. Except for a freaky positioned, almost perfectly horizontal break in the greyness, behind which the moonlight came thru forming a white rainbow across the sky. No horizon could be seen. Just the black water and black sky merging to form solid black darkness.
The white rainbow formed the only point of reference all around. Watching it as the boat rolled from side to side and fell with the waves was like watching the horizon line on an altimeter in an airplane.
I've got some different travel companions under the boat. Some eels and some orange colored fish, about the same size as pilot fish.
A nice surprise today, finding a packet of Chocolate Mousse dessert in my ration pack. I do not have hot water on board, so I had to make it with cold water. Not as good as making it with hot water, but it did end up tasting Mousse-ish, which was good enough..
In other news, I had a few welcome diversions in the form some newspaper interviews over the phone and lots of messages from school kids from all over. Lots of questions for me to answer, but I will bring that up in the next update.
Overall a very dull, grey day and depressing day. Though in fairness, the Sun did shine for 5 minutes just before it set. Almost as an afterthought.
The sea has started to be a bit more active, with a few white horses starting to appear hear and there. I'm expecting stronger winds tomorrow along with some rain.
Now playing on the ipod: James Brown.
B
To send a SMS message to my satellite phone visit http://www.bhavik.com/crossatlantic/messages.asp
Or email me at mail@bhavik.com (I will only be checking my emails when I reach shore).


md-070406_1nsidcabin
Inside the cabin, my living space. The small hatch at the back is where I have to lean out from to reach the rudder. Had a few large waves break thru the hatch, wetting all of the sleeping area.
md-070406_2entrance
Entrance to the cabin
md-070406_3inside
Trying to fit inside

No comments: