Friday, April 13, 2007

Day 44 – A Textbook Day in the Trades, Mileage Up, Birds


Tern flying by the boat

Water goes from blue to metallic

Very metallic sunset

13 Apr, 07 – 21.30 16.5445N,36.3230W 24 hr progress: 37.8 Nautical Miles Total Distance: 2499 Nautical Miles (4623 km), Distance left to Antigua (straight line): 1448 Nautical Miles (2678 km) (1 NM = 1.85 km) Wave height: 4-5 ft, Winds: 10 knots E, Bearing: 240 - 280 degrees.

A textbook day in the trade wind zone. Clear blue skys, fluffy white clouds and a consistent mild breeze at 10 knots. With the rudder back on, I've got the stern into the waves and the gentle following sea helps propel the boat along at about 1 knot more in addition to rowing. After averaging 15 miles a day for the past 2 weeks (without the rudder), this is the first time in two weeks that I have been able to row 30 nautical miles in a day.

Things are looking up. I am holding course for the shipping lanes, in case I am unable to fix the leak and need a rescue. The closest lane is still around 5 days South West.
In any case, if I can maintain an average of 30 miles a day, it would be possible to reach land before my food and water rations run out.

The wildlife around the boat has been strangely quiet. For the past 2 weeks I've been accompanied by whales, dolphins, schools of tuna and dorada. Nothing under the boat today except a bunch of pilot fish, in their black and white pyjama-striped outfits.

Some birds stopped by in the evening. Petrels I think. Skimming just above the surface of the water and diving in to pick up small fish. About 4 of them. I still don't have a clue where they sleep at night, as there is nothing around for miles and miles in either direction. I doubt they sleep on water. Those dangling legs must look quite tasty from down below.

A bit of a slow news day otherwise. Just rowing and rowing and rowing to get the mileage back....and bailing water out. Muscles I never knew I had are complaining.

B

WOULD APPRECIATE NO MESSAGES OR CALLS ON THE SATELLITE PHONE. THE LINE IS BEING KEPT OPEN FOR EMERGENCY USE UNTIL THE LEAK IS FIXED.
Instead, pls direct messages thru the messages section on the website at http://www.bhavik.com/crossatlantic/messages.asp. These are forwarded to me at the end of each day.


No comments: