Monday, April 9, 2007

Day 40 – Progress. Stress. Route. North Equatorial Current.

9 Apr, 07 – 21.30    
17.2587N,34.5597W
24 hr progress: 19.9 Nautical Miles
Distance rowed to date: 1419 Nautical Miles
Distance left to Antigua: 1535 Nautical Miles ( 2839 km)
(Note: 1 Nautical Mile = 1.85 km)
Conditions: Wave height – 7-8ft, Winds – 15-20kt ENE. Choppy seas.


Wish I could share with you all the feeling of futility I find after watching the trip computer show only 19 miles of progress after rowing all day. What's worse – this is displayed just below the box that says Distance to Antigua: 1535 nautical miles (nm).
Today, after evaluating my position and progress for the past 40 days, I feel a bit more stressed than usual, at the slow pace progress, watching time slip away and the hurricane season get closer.
When I started from Spain, I had estimated a time of 90 days at sea for my 2499 nm crossing (4623 km), assuming an average speed of 25 nm per day. With 90 days of time, I was hoping to finish by the end of May, before the start of the Atlantic hurricane season in June.
As of today, I have yet to complete 1535 nm and my speed over the past week without the rudder has fallen to an average of 15 nm per day. This works out to 102 days in addition to the 40 days completed.
With a fair bit of rationing I should be able to stretch my water (assuming desalinator cannot be fixed) and food for another 80 days. That still leaves me short of a 25 days without food or water.
I have two options. 1) Continue at the current speed and organize a re-supply of food and water from a passing ship. Or 2) row with the rudder to get the mileage back up to 25-30 nm and finish before the hurricane. But doing so would run the risk of having the rudder being ripped off the stern by a huge wave, and leaving a hole.
My current location, 17 N,34W puts me right in the middle of the Atlantic, about a 1000 nautical miles from land (1850 km) in either direction, give or take. For now, I have decided to row without a rudder further west 'til I am within rescue range of a shipping lane before I put the rudder back in.
I am a bit more hopeful on the speed front, with the possibility of piggy-backing on the North Equatorial current as I head further South West. The wind forecast seems ok. : 10th April 15 ENE, 11th April 15 E, 12th .April 10 E, 13th April 15 ENE.
A bit more action as we head further into flying fish territory and each morning I find a couple more flying fish on board. I'm saving these for “photo” bait, should a Shark come by, so I can keep it occupied while I do some filming.
On other matters, had a media interview this afternoon and got asked what I missed the most at sea? I realized what I missed most was the possibility of walking. For the past 40 days, I've just taken 3 steps between the deck and the cabin, backwards and forwards. I'm trying not to think about it. Or I just might be tempted to put on my shoes and go out for a jog.
B
Get automatic alerts: http://www.humanedgetech.com/expedition/bhavik/newsletter/index.php
Send a satellite message: http://www.bhavik.com/crossatlantic/messages.asp
Email: mail@bhavik.com

md-070409_1map
Atlantic Pilot Chart, North Equitorial Current marked in blue
md-070409_2fish
More flying fish on deck

No comments: