Monday, June 11, 2007

Day 103 – RE: RESCUE CLARIFICATION

11 June, 07 – 11.48    
16.5228N,60.3129W


To Tatiana @ ORS, ABSAR, MCGA and all personel from the relevant organisations following this:
This is a clarification that No Rescue is necessary.
I've just downloaded this email while uploading the last posting. “messages being sent between 4 official agencies. US Coast guard, Fort A France Search and rescue, and Falmouth Coastguard. Plus we have ABSAR monitoring”.
On the 6th of June, I messaged Debi Taylor re: the Capsize. I stated that that No Rescue was necessary and I would attempt to fix things myself. I received an satellite message (via my PR agency) later in the day from Falmouth Coastguard @ MCGA UK. I replied again that NO RESCUE IS REQUIRED and requested to relay the message to Fort A France.
I've no idea who contacted the US Coast Guard in Miami. In case a safety message has been misunderstood and relayed by a passing ship, the only safety message I have issued is Pan Pan on VHF CH16.
The sea is rough today. I don't think I'd be getting into a rowing boat if I was on a cruise ship, but will attempt to row into English Harbour. Should anything go wrong between now and then, distress on the Argos beacon and EPIRB will be activated. I have the contacts for ABSAR and will radio in at 30 NM from shore.
Thanks for the concern but all is under control. NO RESCUE NECESSARY!
Cheers
B
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From wikipedia - A call of pan-pan means that there is an emergency on board a boat, ship, aircraft or other vehicle but that, for the time being at least, there is no immediate danger to anyone's life or to the vessel itself. This is distinct from a Mayday call, which means that there is imminent danger to life or to the continued viability of the vessel itself. Thus 'pan-pan' will inform potential rescuers (including emergency services and other craft in the area) that a safety problem exists whereas 'mayday' will call upon them to drop all other activities and immediately instigate a rescue attempt.

No comments: