Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day 106 – Land Ahead!

14 June, 07 – 12.34 GMT    
17.1275N,61.3575W

Note:
@ 12.34 GMT, 08.34 Local TIme Antigua (GMT +5) (IST +9.30)
Just a quick post.
Its been a long night. Very tired as I've been rowing all night. Rowing in the darkness and first seeing the clouds glow on the horizon, reflecting the light of Antigua will remain an unforgettable moment.
Soon after I could see the strobe lights of a lighthouse and a few lights on shore before the rain clouds appeared.
The weather right now is still a bit squally and low rain clouds are still over the island. It keeps appearing and disappearing from view. But at least it's there!
There is a strong SE wind and I'm a little stressed about being blown onto the rocks. The SE wind is also blowing me northwestwards. I'm currently at the North East tip of the island. So, I still have a struggle ahead trying to get into English Harbour on the South East tip. Over the next few hours, I will have to row across waves on a bearing of 180 degrees, due South and steer with the South East component of the wind into the harbour. I would like to get in by rowing and avoid a tow if possible. Land to Land.
Fortunately, I'm now also within Radio distance of shore and in touch with ABSAR.
Hope to touch land on about 5 hrs.
Very hungry. Very tired. Very happy to hit Antigua right on target...just as advertised two years ago.
B
PS. Will post from land shortly. Pls email your messages to mail@bhavik.com , my normal email, so I can reply. Pls do NOT message my satellite phone. I will have my normal mobile number posted on here shortly.

md-070614_1lastsunrise

Last sunrise at sea

md-070614_2bow

View ahead, Antigua hidden under the clouds

md-070614_3ahead

Land at last. Antigua appears.

No comments: